Saturday, August 14, 2010

Star Gazing at Burnaby Mountain Park

Recipe for a Great Star Gazing Experience:
  1. Find somewhere to sit (Nice spot on the grass, a bench, in the car)
  2. Bring a blanket to sit on - shows thoughtfulness!
  3. Familiarize yourself with easy-to-spot constellation
  4. Have a flashlight for walks around the park
  5. Ideally, it should be a quiet ambiance. Prepare quiet music if that suits you (Suggestion below!)

Star gazing is an activity that sets the stage for meaningful conversations. Really awesome.
I have a notebook where I jot ideas down. Star gazing has always been something I’ve wanted to try. Hoping to catch the last of The Perseids Meteor Shower, AG and I decided to head up to Burnaby Mountain Park (Google Map) It was quite packed as it was a Friday night of a meteor shower. I didn’t get many pictures from this area as I felt it seemed inappropriate to use flash photography on unsuspecting couples. I didn’t want to disturb anything. ;) The best views of the sky are found in fields with as little light as possible. This will help minimize the light pollution which prevents your eyes from adjusting to the dark. Of course, Burnaby Mountain Park isn’t the only place you can go, but what you can see of Greater Vancouver is definitely an added bonus.
My attempt at night photos. Tips?
Try to familiarize yourself with some easy to spot constellations and impress your date. I have always felt it was super romantic to locate constellations, even though it was just something I can never do. Then again, provided your date knows little about astronomy, you can always try making them up. (Not that I’m encouraging this!)  

If you, like us, decide to stay in the car and watch from the moonroof, you have the opportunity to plug in some music to set the mood. When I say set the mood, do not automatically go for your secret Michael Bublé collection – from experience, I can tell you this can cause awkward situations. So unless your date is a die-hard Michael B. fan, save those for another night.

Instead, let me recommend a Quebecois singer/songwriter: ‘Coeur de Pirate’ (‘Pirate Heart’ in French) Her French songs are light, whimsical, romantic, piano-driven, and done in a sing-song style with a dream-like fashion. Explaining with words how her songs are like is futile, though. Here, experience it yourself:






Although I chose to come here for a meteor shower, we didn’t get to see any but honestly, I think star gazing is an excellent date anyways. It's a great after dinner activity and the perfect setting for meaningful conversations. Hopefully, I get to visit this place again when it's not as packed to get the best experience.

The rest is up to you! ;)

2 comments:

hehe last time I went star gazing is when i'm 15 with my family. And my long lost asthma decided to hook up with me that night...

and to stick with the theme with music in le langue straniere, here's an italian song I liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCCnpcGEWI

Hi JL,

I just gave Baciami Ancora. It sounds like something you would enjoy while having creamy pasta and a glass of wine!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More