Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Casual Date: Q Go Ramen

Located near the busy intersection of Granville and Broadway, Q Go Ramen is Vancouver’s newest store to enter Vancouver’s ramen scene. As an avid ramen fan, I was excited to visit them on their opening day. When I went by Q Go at noon, there was already a queue forming. I decided to come back later in the afternoon so I would get a better sense of the place.

  • Located in the Fairview area near Granville and Broadway
  • Delightful place to have lunch with co-workers or a casual date
  • Great ramen and attentive staff



Since I went back when the shop was quieter, I had a chance to talk to the owner of the store. I asked about the origins of their name: what does Q Go mean?

Q Go’s touching story originates during the Second Sino-Japanese War (1937-1945) when a Japanese soldier took refuge in the home of the owner’s grandparents. After nursing him back to health, the soldier revealed that he prepared ramen for the Japanese Mikado (emperor). To thank his hosts, he prepared a bowl of ramen for the old couple. This recipe has since been passed on in the family. Q Go is actually a play on words on the Japanese numbers: kyuu go (nine five). These two numbers are significant in Asian culture as they symbolize the royalty.


Q Go has a simplistic but serene approach to their decorations which reminds me of a Japanese garden. Like other ramen restaurants in Vancouver, the store is small and offers seating mainly for smaller parties.

Like many Vancouver ramen stores, this restaurant offers three main soup bases with the option of adding extra ingredients. They offer four types of Ramen: Shio, Miso, Shoyu (soy sauce) and even a Vegetarian option. I tried the Shio Ramen. I found the soup really flavourful which is a probably a result of cooking of the pork bone and other quality ingredients for a long period of time.
Shio Ramen $7.50

Tonkotsu broth enhanced with salt flavouring served with boiled egg, marinated chashu, arage kikurage fungus, bean sprouts, and green onion (taken from menu)


I also decided to order their Takoyaki. I wasn't as impressed with them as I was with the ramen but considering it was their opening day, I assumed they just had a few things to iron out.
Takoyaki $3.75 for four

Q Go Ramen is a great place for a casual date or meals with co-workers. Definitely give them a try when you're looking for next time you decide to eat out!

Have fun

Q Go Ramen Address: 1443 West Broadway Vancouver, BC V6H
 Q Go Ramen on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Hmmm haven't heard too many good reviews about this place though...

This is a place I would want to check out! Do they have the spicy version of the ramen? Nice blog, BTW. Ben

@eeScorpius

Hi Elaine,
I went on opening day and was happy with the quality of ramen I was getting. I wonder what others thought about it?
Sandy

@Ben and Suanne
Hi Ben,
I'm really happy you stumbled across my blog! They didn't have a spicy version of the ramen when I was there. However, they did mention that they were working on a take-out menu. Hopefully it's something they will expand to in the future!
Sandy

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More